We love a classic Christmas, and it wouldn’t be Christmas without the mouth-watering smells of baking filling the home. Gingerbread is a classic at this time of year, so here’s a recipe that’s easy enough for the kids to help – it makes a lovely home-made gift, delicious tree decoration or a sweet addition to the Christmas table.
However your family celebrates this year, we wish you a safe and happy festive season, from all of us at Atrium.
Easy Gingerbread Men
- 350g plain flour (plus extra for rolling out)
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tblspn golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in cling-film and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men (or other) shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown.
Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled, decorate with icing and cake decorations – be creative or stay classic!